Friday, March 13, 2009

Falafel



About 6 years ago, my eldest sister came home with a packet of falafel for me....I hoovered it up and I've been addicted to it ever since. I gave up meat for 3 years and found that falafel was a great alternative, it's really tasty, easy to make and very substantial and full of protein!!!
The recipe I've used here is for one person, well a very hungry person, it makes about 4 falafel patties and they're very easily eaten by one mouth!!!
If you want, you can just double the portions to make it for 2 or 3 people

225 g can chick peas
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon parsley
1 clove garlic
1/2 onion
pepper

To serve:
Pitta bread
Hummus
Salsa
Lettuce
Red Onion

  • Heat a pan with oil, about 1-2 inches

    Mash up the chick peas to create a nice texture and then blend up the rest of the ingredients I uuse a soup blender, works a charm and a fork but if you have a food processor, it makes it so much easier!!
















  • Form the mixture into either patties or round shaped balls, I prefer patties :) they fit nicer in to a pitta. Cover the falafel in some flour and/wheat bran.
  • Fry in lots of oil until brown on either side and serve in a warm pitta bread, smoothered in hummus and a little salsa and lemon juice for that extra kick and some lettuce.
















Easy Peasy!!

1 comment:

  1. But I did all that and when I went to cook them they just dissolved into a mess. I thought it was because I'd used tinned chickpeas. Ah well, I'll try again with your recipe. Ta.

    ReplyDelete