Saturday, March 14, 2009

La Pizza Verace.....



The first time I ever tried this pizza was on a trip to Naples at the end of my year long stint in Italy last year, it was the ultimate location to finish an absolutely amazing adventure!!
Almost every evening, after trekking all around Vesuvius, Pompeii and La Costiera Amalfitana, we would visit the second oldest pizzeria in Naples, the pizza comes only in one size.....60 cm...i think, could have been inches, but I'm terrible with measurements :p anyway I took the idea and mixed a simple pizza base recipe and topped it off with some juicy ingredients.

The mozzarella di bufala is quite watery and stringy and adds a lot of moisture to the base, it's taste and aroma is also quite distinct from normal mozzarella, it's the traditional cheese from the region of campania in Southern Italy, an amazing place to visit if you are ever in doubt of where to go in Italy....I could talk for hours about it, it's truly spectacular!!



The traditional recipe uses buffalo mozzarella, cherry tomatoes and basil leaves,
This recipe is enough for one pizza but whilst it's cooking you can be making another one ;) it's perfect for a night in with a few friends....
so all you will need is:

4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
Buffalo Mozzarella
Mozzarella
Basil Leaves
Red Onion
Oregano


200 g Self raising flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
125 ml milk/water
50 g Margarine


Heat the oven to 200 degrees
  • Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a mixing bowl
  • Rub the margarine in with your fingers
  • Add the liquid to turn in to a stiff dough
  • Roll the dough out on a floured surface
  • Grease a pizza tin and stretch out to the sides
  • Top with halved cherry tomatoes, mozzarella and buffalo mozzarella, red onions and basil leaves, coat with some oregano, salt and garlic salt.




and simply bang in the oven for 20 minutes(fan assisted oven)

As it was my first time ever making pizza, I wasn't too sure about how much flavour and ingredients I would need, making it again, I would definitely add more cheese and herbs and salt....guaranteed perfection :)


4 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful, I'm starving now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, every time I look at this picture I all of a sudden get hungry...it's fabulous and so easy to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making pizza is one of my favorite kitchen past times...

    MANGIA Y'ALL

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds very tasty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete